Food Allergies & Gluten Free Items
I have food allergies and eat in the University Residences dining facilities. What do I need to know?
- Ford and Wiley have gluten free bread and pizza crusts available upon request
- The most common food allergies are shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, eggs, milk, soy, and wheat.
- Residence halls do have the most common allergens present in the food production areas and equipment is used in the preparation of a variety of items.
- Self-service food areas do present the danger of cross-contamination.
- Menu items with less obvious ingredients, such as nuts, will be listed on posted signs as often as possible.
- Common ingredients such as milk, flour, and wheat are the responsibility of the student to observe.
- Ground meat combination foods usually contain soy proteins.
- Manufacturers can change formulations without notification.
If you have a question, ask to speak with an administrator in the dining facility. They will be glad to answer your questions, show you the ingredients, explain the labels, or help research information.